Custom Search

Friday, August 24, 2007

Getting It Right

A young boy was sitting in the back seat of the car eating an apple. He poked his father in the front seat and asked, "Daddy, why does my apple turn brown?" His father answered, "When the skin is removed from the apple, air reaches the flesh of the apple and causes oxidation. This changes the apple's molecular structure and results in a brownish color.
After a long pause, a small voice from the back seat asked, "Daddy, are you talking to me?"
Too often I feel like that boy! I want answers. I want solutions to those confusing problems I run up against. I want someone to explain how to get through the difficult times and complex problems so that I can get it right! But I think I identify a bit more with the father whose daughter asked him if he would help her with some homework.
"I'm sorry," he replied. "It wouldn't be right."
"Well," she said, "at least you could try.
I don't have that many answers. And hard as I try, I can't ever get it all "right." But one of the most wonderful answers I do have is this:
I don't have to always get it right! I don't always have to know what to do in every new situation I encounter. All I am required to do is give it my best, learn from the experience and go on.
The affable Dr. Leo Buscaglia once said, "No one gets out of this world alive, so the time to live, learn, care, share, celebrate, and love is now." Which is pretty hard to do when you're waiting for the answers first.
So you got it wrong! So what? Forgive yourself and try again. For even if you won't get out of this world alive, you can get life – joyful and abundant-- out of this world.
Moral stories can improve your moral values.
--Steve Goodier

No comments:

Post a Comment